September 1, 2017
To All NGJA Members,
The 2016-2017 gymnastics season officially ended with the P & G Championships in August. This means it is
time to prepare for the upcoming season! Here is an NGJA update for September, 2017.
- P&G Championships in Anaheim – The NGJA yearly meetings were held at this event. Reports were
given by all national and regional officers. You can find these reports at NGJA.org at the link below:
- New NGJA/USAG Interpretations document – this document is being prepared and will be available at
NGJA.org next week. There are some very important interpretations and updates in this document and
you will need it to prepare for your fall courses.
- The 2016-2020 Age Group Competition Program Update #3 is now available NGJA.org – this update is
effective immediately and will be covered in the fall certification courses.
- NGJA Fall Certification Courses – Registration the 2017-18 course in your area will open Friday,
. More information will be available very soon from your local associations and at
- NCAA Initiatives for 2018 – get ready for some big changes in the NCAA program!
a. Emphasis on applying FIG rules at NCAA competitions
b. NCAA Judges Challenge in December – 3 week competition with awards
c. NCAA NALs to align NCAA judging with FIG rules
d. Evaluated NCAA routines on NGJA.org for education and comparison
- U110 Safe Sport Certification required – Effective immediately… when you renew your Professional
Membership for the coming year, you will be required to also take a new education course called U110
USOC Safe Sport. This course has been developed by the USOC and will be a requirement for all USAG
Professional Members. The course is free but it will take you 1-2 hours to complete, so take it NOW and
PS – Below is a list of New Year’s resolutions sent to me by Tom McNamee and published in the January update. How many have you been able to implement so far in 2017???
- Visit a gym once a month to review the new rules and assist in routine construction (NCAA and/or JO)
- Refer to the NGJA Gym-Duel routines before every assignment to brush up on the routines and rules.
- USE SYMBOLS! Even if you only use a few to start, you can add more as you go.
- Try to learn the Level 8 JO Pommel Horse rules! You never know when you may need to judge PH
- If you are really bored try to learn all the JO exceptions and extra skills.
- For all the old, I mean really experienced judges… Have you identified and worked to mentor an up and coming or new judge?